How to make veggie meatballs
Updated: Jul 8, 2021
....and today I made these veggie meatballs for lunch because for our 2021 new years resolution my family are trying to eat less meat and more vegetarian and fish dishes. They are so nice so here we go...
You will need:
160g of couscous (wholemeal is the best)
½ an onion,
4 Spoons of frozen green peas. I used cooked Marrowfat peas as we didn't have any frozen peas.
1 teaspoon of sesame seeds.
1 teaspoon of poppy seeds. I didn't have any!
50g of bread crumbs. I added a small amount of chilli flakes to spice things up.
4 mint leaves or 4 leaves of parsley,
Extra virgin olive oil,
Salt (I never add salt to things) and pepper to taste.
1. Cook the couscous (see below).
2. Boil the peas, drain and allow to cool.
3. Slice the courgette and onion into small pieces. Cook the courgette in a pan with some extra virgin olive oil and sliced onion (try not to cry!) and allow to cool.
4. Cut the mint leaves into small pieces.
5. Mix all of the above with the couscous and add salt (I skipped the salt) and pepper.
6. To make the meatballs, get a spoon (I used a ice cream scooper) and press into the spoon hard then coat the ball in egg and then roll around in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with all the couscous mix. Then place in a frying pan (with extra virgin olive oil) and cook for 15 mins.
7. Alternatively cook the meatballs in the oven high temperature for 15 mins. I put mine in an air fryer for 10 mins.
Ensure product is thoroughly cooked and is piping hot throughout. Do not reheat.
I had mine with houmous on the side, my Mam with sour cream and my brothers and Dad with sweet chilli sauce.
If any of ye do make these I hope ye enjoy,
How to cook Couscous
Pour the couscous into a bowl.
Add hot water.
Cover and leave for about 5 mins.
Uncover and your done.